The AD sector is very diverse in terms of the size of businesses involved in developing and running plants, and this project aims to accommodate the whole spectrum – from farmers with small-scale plants through to food waste operators with multiple plants.
However, irrespective of size, all operators will have the common goal of combining optimal performance to ensure commercial viability with health and safety and environmental best practice to protect workers, the community and the environment.
The Scheme has been designed to be supportive to the industry, providing clarity on best practice, better access to guidance and a certification scheme which delivers benefits to those operators who are successful.
All operators can benefit from participating in the Scheme.
You should participate in the scheme if you want to benefit from:
- An independent check of internal management systems by specialist auditors;
- Recommendations for improvements, provided in a structured report;
- Identification of opportunities to enhance health and safety procedures and reduce risks to site workers;
- The ability to demonstrate to third parties a genuine desire to operate responsibly;
- A mechanism to compare your plant against industry-defined criteria; and
- The opportunity to check that company procedures are being implemented consistently across multiple plants.
What will certification mean?
ADCS certification is based on meeting nine criteria which overlap the BS OHSAS18001/ISO 45001; ISO 14001; PAS 110:2014 NS standards, Environmental Permitting, AD Quality Protocol and Animal By Product Regulations, whilst incorporating other aspects such as training, monitoring, and maintenance.
- Demonstrate an operator’s commitment to continuously improve the performance of the plant,
- Demonstrate best practice in health and safety and environmental protection,
- Demonstrate a commitment to innovation, operational excellence, and professionalism,
- Give confidence to employees, regulators, insurers, and investors that the plant is run safely, responsibly and successfully,
- Enhance the operator’s reputation within the AD industry and local community.
Certified AD plants will also benefit from:
- Using the ADCS certified logo to promote their business,
- Opportunities to reduce insurance premiums and obtain highly beneficial insurance policy through Marsh Commercial,
- Opportunities to showcase the AD plant through ADBA PR activities and events.